Monday 2 January 2012

ParCan MK2 HotEnd Developmant. Attempt 1 (FAIL)

After making well over 100 of my MK1 HotEnd kits, it's time to update the design.
Inspiration has been taken from my current design as well as the Makergear ideas.

For my first redesign I made a clone of the standard MG Hot end to see how well it worked.
This one was built for 1.75mm filament.
I will not be selling this design.
The PTFE Tube would ride up inside the PEEK causing the Filament to stick to the PEEK and jam.

After printing for about an hour, it had leaked down the Threads and also at the nozzle joint.

Disassembling the hot End reevealed that it just was not up to scratch, even after several modifications to try and make it work reliably.
I also have issues with trying to make this design work with 3mm filament.
Drilling 3.2mm down M6 threaded rod I can do, but there is very little metal left.
Later designs use M7 Threaded rods.
Parts List:
  1. 10mm Hex brass Nozzle. 0.5mm hole.
  2. M6 Threadeded Brass rod drilled 2mm for 1.75 mm filament.
  3. 15mm dia PEEK Rod, 30mm long. Drilled 15mm deep and tapped M6.
  4. The tube hole was drilled 3mm to accept 2mm ID PTFE tube.

The Top Of the PEEK was later drilled and tapped with a brass insert to stop the tube moving up.

2 comments:

  1. I'm imagining an hotend between the J-head and the v9... the J-head for the integrated nozzle-heater-brass with the idea in the v9 where the ptfe liner is replaced by another brass part to make a thermal break (http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?70,95619), but with a shorter brass :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not far wrong. I plan to keep the Nozzle and brass tube as I piece, closer to the J-head Idea. The Heater will be separate.
    My Heaters are very well proven so I have no need to fix those.

    ReplyDelete